Chicagoland’s Newest Entertainment Destination Now Open
DES PLAINES, Ill. (August 8, 2011) – Rivers Casino, the highly anticipated new gaming and entertainment destination, opened to the public on Monday, July 18, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. Excited guests lined up during the early morning hours in order to be among the first to experience the 147,000 square foot property, featuring the most popular slots and table games, as well as unparalleled dining options and entertainment venues.
The Rivers Casino grand opening was marked with an official ribbon cutting ceremony featuring Neil Bluhm, chairman of Midwest Gaming and Entertainment, LLC, Greg Carlin, Rivers Casino CEO, Bill Keena, Rivers Casino General Manager, Jeff Parr, CEO of Clairvest, Martin Moylan, Mayor of Des Plaines and special guest and Chicago native Jim Belushi.
“Rivers Casino in Des Plaines has a great location and opened at an ideal time,” said Neil Bluhm, chairman of Midwest Gaming and Entertainment, LLC. “We have seen that the demand for casinos in regional markets is growing, and our properties are creating employment and tax revenue, and people are having fun and enjoying it.”
“We have built a top-notch facility, but ultimately customer service is the most important key to success, and we are confident that the Rivers Casino staff will deliver,” said Greg Carlin, Rivers Casino CEO. “Guests of this property will have a great time while they are here.”
The Rivers Casino grand opening festivities also included two exclusive parties where invited guests received sneak peeks of the property offerings. On Friday, July 15, hundreds of Des Plaines residents got the chance to be the first to play, dine and experience the property alongside the Mayor of Des Plaines and other local community leaders. Sunday, July 17, was the Rivers Casino VIP night, where celebrities walked a red carpet, guests were delighted by entertainment at every turn and Jim Belushi gave a special performance with his band in the Cube. Guests enjoyed a sampling of menu items from each restaurant, including lamb lollipops from Hugo’s Frog Bar & Chop House, turkey sliders from FLIPT, handmade pork dumplings from MianBar and gelatos from Canopy Buffet.
Rivers Casino is expected to generate millions in annual gambling tax revenue that will benefit the state of Illinois, the city of Des Plaines and the Chicagoland area. The property also created more than 1,000 permanent jobs.
“The opening of Rivers Casino is a win-win for everyone involved – for us as the casino operators, for the employees, the communities and states we operate in, and of course for our guests,” said Bill Keena, Rivers Casino General Manager.
Rivers Casino features exciting gaming options including:
- A 44,000 square foot state-of-the-art gaming floor
- More than 1,050 of the newest slots with the most popular game themes
- 48 table games including blackjack, craps, roulette, pai gow poker, baccarat and many more with the highest table limits in Illinois
- A plush VIP area including an intimate gaming salon and an exclusive lounge
Rivers Casino is proud to offer a variety of top-notch dining options:
- Hugo’s Frog Bar & Chop House – Part of the iconic Chicago-based Gibsons Restaurant Group, Hugo’s features Gibsons’ steaks and the freshest seafood in an upscale yet approachable environment.
- Canopy Buffet – Serving freshly prepared cuisine at nine different stations including options like: Veal Saltimbocca, prime rib, salt and pepper shrimp, sushi, fresh pasta and pizzas, handmade gelato.
- FLIPT – A casual grill serving specialty burgers, sandwiches, hand cut fries and handmade shake.s
- MianBar – Serving dim sum and a variety of authentic quick-serve Asian noodle and rice dishes.
- Coffee Spot – Serving Chicago-based Metropolis Coffee, sandwiches, pastries and desserts.
Additionally, Rivers Casino boasts exciting entertainment venues including Lotus, a sophisticated cocktail lounge at the center of the casino floor, and Cube, a space that easily transforms from a state-of-the-art sports bar to a live performance venue and features an outdoor patio.
The property was designed by renowned casino, food and beverage and interior designers Klai Juba Architects, and Cleo Design, working in tandem with Development Management Associates, LLC, to create the exciting yet warm and inviting overall design. Rivers Casino has applied to be the country’s first LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design) certified casino – and was designed and built with environmentally friendly materials and processes, including the following features:
- HVAC system upgrades intended to provide 16% energy savings, more fresh air supply above a standard design and more comfort for operating 24 hours a day
- Casino operations include a single stream recycling plan reducing the amount of waste delivered to landfills and non-irrigated landscaping with native species
- Interior living green walls found throughout the property to provide better air quality and comfort for occupants
- Electric car charging stations are provided at valet parking for facility and customer use
- One of the largest covered parking garages in the country with LED lights throughout stretching over a half-million total square feet
Rivers Casino rewards customers with a generous loyalty program – the Rush Rewards Players Club. Players Club members will receive invitations to promotions, special events, discounts, priority lines and more. Guests can sign up by visiting the Rush Rewards booth inside the casino.
Rivers Casino is located at 3000 S. River Road in Des Plaines, Ill., just 16 miles from downtown Chicago and minutes from O’Hare International Airport. It is easily accessible from the Kennedy Expressway, Interstate 294 and the CTA Blue Line. Rivers features 2,300 self-parking spaces as well as valet. Rivers also offers shuttle service from O’Hare, Midway, McCormick place and select hotels throughout downtown Chicago and surrounding areas. Rivers Casino also offers luggage check to guests.
Must be at least 21 years old to enter Rivers Casino. Valid government-issued photo ID required upon entry. Management reserves the right to cancel or modify offers at any time with prior notification to IGB. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.
About Midwest Gaming & Entertainment, LLC
Midwest Gaming & Entertainment, LLC, a partnership between affiliates of Neil Bluhm and Clairvest Group Inc., is the owner, developer and operator of Rivers Casino. Collectively the partners bring a wide range of development and gaming experience to the project, having developed, constructed and managed casinos, luxury hotels, and other hospitality businesses around the world.